Here is another class at RTC Asia 2015. I have been thinking about how to create complex patterns using curtain pattern method. There are 2 major challenges:
- How to draw a complex graphic with freeform lines?
- How to make the graphic scalable in 2 directions independently so that it can fit into curtain pattern as U and V change in a divided surface?
Here are some examples of any complex graphic used to make pattern using curtain pattern on divided surface.
The Grid Method
Based on the principle of scaling by grid which we learned how to draw when we were kids , I invented this method.
The Logo Curtain Panel Template
- It is important to have a template for this Logo Curtain Pattern family that when a different logo pattern is needed, just simply placing the graphics in the already set up template.
- Create a Curtain Panel Pattern Based family.
- Dimension distance between Point 1 and 2, parameterize it as reporting parameter L12.
- Dimension distance between Point 2 and 3, parameterize it as reporting parameter L23.
- Dimension distance between Point 3 and 4, parameterize it as reporting parameter L34.
- Dimension distance between Point 4 and 1, parameterize it as reporting parameter L41.
- Place a point at mid-point of line 12.
- Place a point at the mid-point of line 34.
- Join the points with reference line. Place a point at the mid-point of the reference line. Name it O.
- As the 4 adaptive points in a curtain panel pattern based family are not necessary coplanar, move the points slightly up or down.
- Select XY plane of point O, set it as work plane.
- Draw a ellipse (reference line) centered at point O.
- Dimension the radii of the ellipse. Parameterize as X and Y (both instance).
- Move the 4 adaptive points slight up or down to see the orientation of the ellipse changes as the points moves.
- Set formula for X = (L12 + L34)/4
- Set formula for Y = (L23 + L41)/4
- Place 2 points on the ellipse.
- Set the Normalized Curve Parameter of one point to 0.25 so that the point is at the top co-vertex of the ellipse. Name the point M.
- Set the Normalized Curve Parameter of the other point to 0.75 so that the point is at the bottom co-vertex of the ellipse. Name the point N.
- Select YZ plane of point M, place a point on point M, move the point to the right. Set the offset of the point to parameter X. Name the point B.
- Place another point on point M, move the point to the left. Set the offset of the point to a new parameter Z. Name the point A.
- Set a formula for parameter Z = -X
- Select YZ plane of point N, place a point on point N, move the point to the right. Set the offset of the point to parameter X. Name the point C.
- Place another point on point N, move the point to the left. Set the offset of the point to parameter Z. Name the point D.
- Save the file as CP-RECT-LOGO.rft
The Scalable Logo Graphic Family
- Create a Generic Model Adaptive family.
- Create 4 points with one point at the origin. Make all the points adaptive.
- Join the points with reference lines to form a quadrilateral.
- Select the reference lines and create a void surface.
- Insert an image. Place the bottom left corner of the image at the origin.
- Move the adaptive points to the 4 corners of the image
- Divide the void surface by 150 X 150. Turn on the nodes and turn off the UV Grids and Intersect Lines.
- Trace the logo with reference lines (3D snapping) and splines by snapping on the nodes.
- Select the reference line loops and create solid surfaces.
- Save the family as GM-LOGO-RTC-200.rfa
Graphic on Curtain Pattern
- Create a Curtain Panel Pattern Based family with CP-RECT-LOGO.rft
- Go to Visibility/Graphic setting, turn off Nodes.
- Load GM-LOGO-RTC-200.rfa into the Curtain Pattern family.
- Place an instance of the logo family by snapping at points A, B, C and D.
- Save the Curtain Pattern family as CP-RECT-LOGO_RTC-200.rfa
Apply Curtain Pattern on Surface
- Create a Conceptual Mass family.
- Load the Curtain Pattern family CP-RECT-LOGO_RTC-200.rfa into the mass family.
- Create a surface with splines.
- Select the surface and divide.
- Turn off nodes in Visibility/Graphic setting.
- Apply the curtain pattern CP-RECT-LOGO_RTC-200.
Similarly, I can draw my face on curtain pattern family and then map it on any surface.
Enjoy the pattern:)